Vivek Sharma, Ph. D.
Department of Chemical Engineering
Building & Room:
945 W. Taylor St, MC 110, Chicago, IL 60607
Rheology & Processability, DoS rheometry, Polymer Physics
Fizzics (Bubbles, drops, jets, emulsions & foams), Biophysics
Structural Color, Adhesion, Food Science, Molecular Engineering.
CHE 312 Transport phenomena II (Juniors, Spring 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 & Fall 2019)
CHE 301 Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics (Juniors, Fall 2014)
CHE 494 Fizzics and Interfacial Phenomena (Fall 2013, Spring 2016, Spring 2018)
CHE 494 Molecular and Macromolecular Engineering (Fall 2013, Spring 2016, Spring 2018)
CHE 410 Advanced Transport Phenomena (Fall 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018)
CHE 392 Undergraduate research (every semester)
1. Macromolecular Relaxation, Strain and Extensibility Determine Elastocapillary Thinning and Extensional Viscosity of Polymer Solutions, J. Dinic and V. Sharma*, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 116(18), 8766-8774 (2019).
2. Spinodal Stratification in Ultrathin Micellar Foam Films, S. Yilixiati, E. Wojcik, Y. Zhang and V. Sharma*, Molecular Systems Design & Engineering, 4, 626-638 (2019).
3. Extensional Relaxation Time, Pinch-off Dynamics and Printability of Semi-Dilute Polyelectrolyte Solutions, L. N. Jimenez, J. Dinic, N. Parsi and V. Sharma*, Macromolecules, 51, 5191-5208 (2018).
4. “Nanoscopic Terraces, Mesas, and Ridges in Freely Standing Thin Films Sculpted by Supramolecular Oscillatory Surface Forces ”, Y. Zhang, S. Yilixiati, C. Pearsall and V. Sharma*, ACS Nano, 10, 4678-4683 (2016).
5. Extensional Relaxation Times of Dilute Polymer Solutions, J. Dinic, Y. Zhang, L. N. Jimenez and V. Sharma*, ACS MacroLetters, 4, 804-808 (2015).
2015, Distinguished Young Rheologist Award, TA Instruments
2017, COE Teaching Award, University of Illinois at Chicago
2019, 3M Nontenured Faculty Award, 3M
Post-doctoral Research, Mechanical Eng., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA. 2008-2012
Ph. D., Polymer Science & Eng. with Minor in Physics, Materials Science and Eng., Georgia Tech. 2003-2008
M. S. in Chemical Engineering with Minor in Nonlinear Dynamics & Chaos, Georgia Tech. Atlanta, GA. 2004-2006
M.S. in Polymer Science, University of Akron, Akron, OH. 2001-2003
B.Tech. in Textile Technology, Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi, India. 1997-2001