Vivek Sharma, Ph. D.
Department of Chemical Engineering
Building & Room:
929 W. Taylor St, Chicago, IL 60608
FOOD & HEALTH: “Low Salt, Sugar, Fat & Plant-based” Lipids, Proteins, & Polysaccharides. Plant-based Meat & Dairy Alternatives.
AESTHETICS & BEAUTY: “Low or no VOCs & Plant-based” Surfactants, Pigments, & Polymers. Inks, Paints & Coatings. Cosmetics.
ENVIRONMENT & SUSTAINABILITY: “Reduce non-biodegradable ingredients” Molecular & Macromolecular Engineering of Formulations.
Teaching interests & course offerings
Courses Offered in Spring 2022:
- CHE 311 Transport Phenomena
- CHE 512 Microhydrodynamics
- Merchiers, C. D. V. Martínez Narváez, C. Slykas, N.K. Reddy and V. Sharma*, Evaporation and rheology chart a processability map for centrifugal force spinning, Macromolecules,in press, 2021.
- C. Martinez Narvaez, X. Yu, C. Wang, R. Rock, H. Sun, and V. Sharma, “Rheology and pinching dynamics of Associative Polysaccharide Solutions”, Macromolecules,54, 6372-6288, 2021.
- S. Yilixiati, C. U. Ortiz^, and V. Sharma*, “Surface forces and stratification in foam films of bile salts”, Molecular Systems Design & Engineering, 6, 520-533, 2021.
- Macromolecular Relaxation, Strain and Extensibility Determine Elastocapillary Thinning and Extensional Viscosity of Polymer Solutions, J. Dinic and V. Sharma*, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 116(18), 8766-8774 (2019).
2. Spinodal Stratification in Ultrathin Micellar Foam Films, S. Yilixiati, E. Wojcik, Y. Zhang and V. Sharma*, Molecular Systems Design & Engineering, 4, 626-638 (2019).
3. Extensional Relaxation Time, Pinch-off Dynamics and Printability of Semi-Dilute Polyelectrolyte Solutions, L. N. Jimenez, J. Dinic, N. Parsi and V. Sharma*, Macromolecules, 51, 5191-5208 (2018).
4. “Nanoscopic Terraces, Mesas, and Ridges in Freely Standing Thin Films Sculpted by Supramolecular Oscillatory Surface Forces ”, Y. Zhang, S. Yilixiati, C. Pearsall and V. Sharma*, ACS Nano, 10, 4678-4683 (2016).
5. Extensional Relaxation Times of Dilute Polymer Solutions, J. Dinic, Y. Zhang, L. N. Jimenez and V. Sharma*, ACS MacroLetters, 4, 804-808 (2015).
Service to Community
Chair, Membership Committee, APS GSOFT (2016-2020); Helped in GSOFT-DSOFT transition!
Membership Committee & Social Media Chair, Society of Rheology (2017-)
Programming Committee, Area 1J: Fluids, AIChE (2017-)
Education Committee, APS: DPOLY (2018-)
2015, Distinguished Young Rheologist Award, TA Instruments
2017, COE Teaching Award, University of Illinois at Chicago
2017, HOPE (Honoring Our Professor’s Excellence) Award, University of Illinois at Chicago
2019, 3M Nontenured Faculty Award (3M NFTA), 3M
Post-doctoral Research, Mechanical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA. 2008-2012
Ph. D., Polymer Science &Engineering with Minor in Physics, Materials Science and Engineering (MSE), Georgia Institute of Technology, 2003-2008
M. S. in Chemical Engineering with Minor in Nonlinear Dynamics & Chaos, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA. 2004-2006
M.S. in Polymer Science, University of Akron, Akron, OH. 2001-2003
B.Tech. in Textile Technology, Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi, India. 1997-2001
Member: American Physical Society (DPOLY, DFD & GSOFT), American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE), American Chemical Society (ACS), Society of Rheology (SOR), Adhesion Society, Society of Plastic Engineers.
- “Stretched Polymer Physics, Extensional Rheology and Free Surface Flows”, APS March Meeting, 2022 .
- “Molecular and Macromolecular Engineering of Cosmetics”, ECI Advances in Cosmetics Formulation Design II, Durham, NC. July 2022.
- “Micellar Size, Shape and Interactions Determine Thermodynamics of Stratification in Foam Films”, Midwest Statistical Mechanics and Thermodynamics, Madison, WI. June 2021.
- “Stratification in Micellar Foam Films”, PPSM seminar series, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA. 2021.
- “Stretched Polymer Physics, Extensional Rheology and Free Surface Flows”, Chemical Engineering, Stanford University, CA. January 2020.
- [GRC} “Stickiness, Elasticity and Extensional Rheology”, Gordon Research Conference on Adhesion. July 2019.
- [Plenary] “Molecular and Macromolecular Engineering of Foams: Drainage Kinetics and Rheology”, International Symposium on Food Rheology and Structure, Zurich, June 2019