Postdoc, Department of Chemistry and Institute for Biophysical Dynamics, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL (2008)
Ph.D., Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ (2007)
M.A., Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ (2004)
B.Sc., Engineering Mechanics, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China (2001)
Soft-matter self-assembly kinetics
CHE 311 Transport Phenomena I (undergrad) (Fall 2008, Fall 2011, Fall 2012, Fall 2013)
CHE 341 Chemical Process Control (Spring 2010, Spring 2011, Spring 2012, Spring 2013, Spring 2014)
CHE 410 Transport Phenomena (graduate) (Fall 2011, Fall 2012, Fall 2013)
CHE 425 Nanotechnologies for Pharmaceutical Applications(Spring 2009, Fall 2010)
Researcher and Scholar of the Year, 2015
NSF CAREER Award, 2014
College of Engineering Research Award, UIC, IL, 2013
OTM POC Award, UIC, IL, 2013
Chancellor Discovery Award, UIC, 2012
Technology for Developing Regions Grant, Princeton University, NJ, 2006
Howard Crathorne Phillips Graduate Fellowship, Princeton University, NJ, 2003
Engineering Fellowship, Princeton University, NJ, 2002
Graduation with Honor, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China 2001
Rong Hong National Fellowship, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, 2000
Best Academic Performance, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China 1999
Excellent Freshman Scholarship, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China 1997
- Alexander J. Donovan, Joseph Kalkowski, Magdalena Szymusiak, Canhui Wang, Stephanie A. Smith, Robert F. Klie, James H. Morrissey, and Ying Liu, Artificial Dense Granules: A Procoagulant Liposomal Formulation Modeled after Platelet Polyphosphate Storage Pools, accepted by Biomacromolecules.
- Magdalena Szymusiak, Xiaoyu Hu, Paulina Ciupinski, Zaijie Jim Wang, and Ying Liu, Bioavailability of Curcumin and Curcumin Glucuronide in the Central Nervous System of Mice after Oral Delivery of Nano-Curcumin, accepted by International Journal of Pharmaceutics.
- Xiaoyu Hu, Fang Huang, Magdalena Szymusiak, Ying Liu, abd Zaijie Wang, Curcumin Reverses Opioid-Induced Hyperalgesia via Spinal Inhibition of CaMKIIα, PLOS ONE 11(1), 0146393, 2016./li>
- Magdalena Szymusiak, Alexander J. Donovan, Stephanie A. Smith, Ross Ransom, Hao Shen, Joseph Kalkowski, James H. Morrissey, and Ying Liu, Colloidal Confinement of Polyphosphate on Gold Nanoparticles Robustly Activates the Contact Pathway of Blood Coagulation, Bioconjugate Chemistry, 27 (1), 102–109, 2015.
- Suzanne M. D’Addio, Venkata M. Reddy, Ying Liu, Patrick J. Sinko, Leo Einck, and Robert K. Prud’homme, Antitubercular nanoparticle combination products: formulation strategies and in vitro efficacy for rifampicin and SQ641, Molecular Pharmaceutics 12(5), 1552-1563, 2015.
- Alexander J. Donovan, Joseph Kalkowski, Stephanie A. Smith, James H. Morrissey and Ying Liu, Size-controlled synthesis of granular polyphosphate nanoparticles at physiologic salt PAGE 2 concentrations for blood clotting, Biomacromolecules.
- Vishal Sharma, Melanie Kollmer, Magdalena Szymusiak, Ludwig C. Nitsche, Richard A. Gemeinhart, and Ying Liu*, Toroidal-spiral particles for co-delivery of anti-VEGFR-2 antibody and irinotecan — a potential impant to hinder recurrence of glioblastoma multiforme. Biomacromolecules, 15 (3), 756-762, 2014.
- Hao Shen, Xiaoyue Hu, Magdalena Szymusiak, Zaijie Jim Wang, and Ying Liu*, Orally Administrated Nano-curcumin to Attenuate Morphine Tolerance and Dependence: Comparison between Negatively Charged PLGA and Partially and Fully PEGylated Nanoparticles. Molecular Pharmaceutics, 10 (12), 4546-4551, 2013.
- Aryamitra A. Banerjee† , Hao Shen† , Mathew Hautman, Jaseem Anwer, Seungpyo Hong, Izet M. Kapetanovic, Ying Liu*, and Alexander V Lyubimov*, Polymeric nanoparticles enhance oral bioavailability of the hydrophobic chemopreventive agent (SR13668) in beagle dogs, Current Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, 14, 464-469, 2013. († Equivalent first authors; *Corresponding author)
- Suhair Sunoqrot, Ying Liu, Dong-Hwan Kim and Seungpyo Hong, In vitro evaluation of dendrimer-polymer hybrid nanoparticles on their controlled cellular targeting kinetics, Molecular Pharmaceutics, 10 (6), 2157-2166, 2013.
- Hao Shen, Aryamitra A. Banerjee, Paulina Mlynarska, Mathew Hautman, Seungpyo Hong, Izet M. Kapetanovic, Alexander V. Lyubimov, and Ying Liu*, Enhanced oral bioavailability of a cancer preventive agent (SR13668) by employing polymeric nanoparticles with high drug loading, Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 101 (10) 3877-3885, 2012.
- Suhair Sunoqrot, Jin Woo Bae, Ryan M. Pearson, Kevin Shyu, Ying Liu, Donghwan Kim, and Seungpyo Hong, Temporal Control over Cellular Targeting through Hybridization of Folate-targeted Dendrimers and PEG-PLA Nanoparticles. Biomacromolecules, 13 (4), 1223– 1230, 2012.
- Magdalena Szymusiak, Vishal Sharma, Ludwig C. Nitsche, and Ying Liu*, Interaction of sedimenting drops in a miscible solution – formation of heterogeneous toroidal-spiral particles, Soft Matter, 8 (29), 7556 – 7559, 2012.
- Vishal Sharma, Magdalena Szymusiak, Hao Shen, Ludwig, C. Nitsche, and Ying Liu*, Formation of Polymeric Toroidal-Spiral Particles, Langmuir, 28 (1) 729-735, 2012.
- Suhair Sunoqrot, Jin Woo Bae, Su-Eon Jin, Ryan Pearson, Ying Liu, and Seungpyo Hong, Kinetically Controlled Cellular Interactions of Polymer-Polymer and Polymer-Liposome Nanohybrid Systems, Bioconjugate Chemistry, 22, 466-474, 2011.
- Hao Shen, Seungpyo Hong, Robert K. Prud’homme, and Ying Liu*, Self-assembling Process of Flash NanoPrecipitation in a Multi-inlet Vortex Mixer to Produce Drug-loaded Polymeric Nanoparticles, Journal of Nanoparticle Research, 13, 4109-4120, 2011.
- Boris. Russ, Ying Liu, and Robert K. Prud’homme, Optimized Descriptive Model for Micromixing in a Vortex Mixer, Chemical Engineering Communications. 197, 1068-1075, 2010.
- Ying Liu and Rustem F. Ismagilov, Dynamics of Coalescence of Plugs with a Hydrophilic Wetting Layer Induced by Flow in a Microfluidic Chemistrode, Langmuir, 25 (5), 2854-2859, 2009. PAGE 3
- Ying Liu, Zhen Tong, and Robert K. Prudhomme, Stabilized Polymeric Nanoparticles for Controlled and Efficient Release of Bifenthrin, Pest Management Science, 64 (8) 808-812, 2008.
- Feng Shen, Christian J. Kastrup, Ying Liu, and Rustem F. Ismagilov, Threshold Response of Initiation of Blood Coagulation by Tissue Factor in Patterned Microfluidic Capillaries is Controlled by Shear Rate, Arteriosclerosis Thrombosis and Vascular Biology, 28 (11) 2035- 2041, 2008.
- Delai Chen† , Wenbin Du† , Ying Liu† , Weishan Liu† , Andrey Kuznetsov, Felipe E. Mendez, Louis H. Philipson, and Rustem F. Ismagilov, The Chemistrode: a Droplet-based Microfluidic Device for Stimulation and Recording with High Temporal, Spatial and Chemical Resolution, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 105 (44) 16843- 16848, 2008. ( † Equivalent first authors)
- Ying Liu, Chungyin Chen, Ying Liu, Robert K. Prudhomme, and Rodney O. Fox, Mixing in a Multi-Inlet Vortex Mixer (MIVM) for Flash Nano-Precipitation, Chemical Engineering Science, 63 (11) 2829-2842, 2008.
- Ying Liu, Kathan Kathan, Walid Saad, and Rorbert K. Prud’homme, Ostwald Ripening of beta-carotene Nanoparticles, Physical Review Letters, 98 (3): Art. No. 036102, 2007.
Patents and Published PCT
- Robert K. Prud’homme, Marian Gindy, Baris Ungun, Stephanie Budijono, and Ying Liu, Nanoparticles for Photodynamic therapy, WO/2009/061406.
- Ludwig C. Nitsche and Ying Liu, Self-assembled Toroidal-spiral Particles and manufacture and Uses Thereof, WO/2011/062936
- Seungpyo Hong and Ying Liu, Nano-hybrid Delivery System for Sequential Utilization of Passive and active Targeting. WO/2011/133617.
- Ying Liu, A Synergistic Drug Delivery System (SDDS) Based on Polymeric Nanoparticles to Control Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics for Diagnosis and Treatment of Complex Diseases.
- Ying Liu, Lewis E. Wedgewood, and Ludwig C. Nitsche, Novel Microfluidic Technology for Encapsulating Cells for Therapeutic Implantation Without Rejection.
- Ying Liu, A method for manufacturing a stable polymeric nanoparticle encapsulating a hydrophobic therapeutic agent.
- Ying Liu and Zaijie Wang, Nano-curcumin as an essential part of pain management kit.
- Ying Liu, Selfassembled Polymeric Nanoparticles for Drug Delivery, The Third EITA Young Investigator Conference, August 1-2, 2013, MIT, Cambridge, MA. (Invited talk).
- Vishal Sharma, Magdalena Szymusiak, Ludwig Nitsche, Ying Liu, Formation of Heterogeneous Toroidal-Spiral Particles — by Drop Sedimentation and Interaction, American Physical Society (APS) March Meeting, March 18-22, 2013, Baltimore, Maryland, Paper No. N30.1
- Ying Liu, Self-assembling process of flash nanoprecipitation in a multi-inlet vortex mixer, AIChE Annual Meeting, Oct. 28 – Nov. 2, 2012, Pittsburgh, PA, Paper No. 97d (Invited talk) PAGE 4
- Magdalena Szymusiak, Vishal Sharma, Ludwig Nitsche, Ying Liu, Interaction of Sedimenting Drops in a Miscible Solution – Formation of Heterogeneous Toroidal-Spiral Particles, AIChE Annual Meeting, Oct. 28 – Nov. 2, 2012, Pittsburgh, PA, Paper No. 180ag
- Ying Liu, EAGER: Preliminary Study on Novel Self-Assembled Toroidal-Spiral MicroParticles (TSMPs) for Sustained Release of Therapeutic Proteins and Peptides: Theory and Experiments, NSF-CBET grantee conference, June 6-8, 2012, Baltimore, Maryland
- Hao Shen, Aryamitra Banerjee, Paulina Mlynarska, Mathew Hautman, Seungpyo Hong, Izet M. Kapetanovic, Alexander V. Lyubimov, and Ying Liu, Increasing Oral Bioavailability of Hydrophobic Drugs by Using Polymeric Nanoparticles, AAPS annual Annual Meeting and Exposition, Oct. 14-18, 2012.
- Aryamitra A. Banerjee, Hao Shen, Mathew Hautman, Jaseem Anwer, Izet M. Kapetanovic, Ying Liu, Alexander V. Lyubimov, Polymeric Nanoparticles Enhance the Bioavailablity of the Chemopreventive Compound SR13668 in Beagle Dogs, AACR annual meeting, Chicago, IL, Mar. 2012. Paper No. 12-A-6187-AACR.
- Hao Shen, Aryamitra A. Banerjee, Alexander V. Lyubimov, Izet M. Kapetanovic, Yoon Yeo, and Ying Liu, Increasing Oral Bioavailability of SR 13668 by Using Polymeric Nanoparticles, AIChE annual meeting, Minneapolis, MN, Oct. 2011. Paper No. 748f.
- Vishal Sharma, Magdalena Szymusiak, Hao Shen, Ludwig C. Nitsche, and Ying Liu, SelfAssembled Toroidal-Spiral Particles: Parallel Pathways for Multi-Drug Release, AIChE annual meeting, Minneapolis, MN, Oct. 2011. Paper No. 717a.
- Hao Shen and Ying Liu, Dynamic self-assembling process to generate nanoparticles with narrow size distribution and high drug loading rate. Gordon Research Conference – Cluster, Nanocrystals & Nanostructures, Mount Holyoke College, MA, Jul. 2011.
- Vishal Sharma and Ying Liu, Formation of Polymeric Toroidal-Spriral Particles, Gordon Research Conference – Soft Condensed Matter Physics,Colby-Sawyer College, NH, Aug. 2011.
- Hao Shen, Robert K. Prud’homme, and Ying Liu, Dynamic Self-assembling Process to Generate Nanoparticles with Narrow Size distribution and High Drug Loading Rate, AAPS annual meeting, Los Angeles, CA, Nov. 2009.
- Hao Shen, Richard D. Minshall, and Ying Liu, Gold Nanoparticle-Bovine Serum Albumin Complexes for Imaging and Analysis of Macromolecule Drug Delivery through Murine Endothelial Monolayers, AIChE annual meeting, Nashville, TN, Nov. 2009. Paper No. 633d.
- Pei-Tzu Lin, Hao Shen, Vishal Sharma, and Ying Liu, Sustanied Release of Small Hydrophobic Molecules. Controlled Release Society Meeting, Chicago, IL, Apr. 2009.
- Ying Liu, Jean Sung, Rorbert K. Prud’homme, and David A. Edwards, Nanoparticle of Conjugated Rifampicin for Aerosol Drug Delivery and Sustained Release, ACS annual meeting, San Francisco, CA, Sep. 2006, Paper No. 1004002.
- Ying Liu and Rorbert K. Prud’homme, Experimental and CFD Studies on Micromixing in a Multi-Inlet Vortex Mixer (MIVM), AIChE annual meeting, San Francisco, CA, Nov. 2006, Paper No. 60666.
- Ying Liu and Rorbert K. Prud’homme, Porous Nanoparticle Aggregated Particles (PNAP) for Efficient Lung Deposition and Sustained Release, AAPS annual meeting, San Antonio, Oct. 29-Nov. 2 2006, Paper No. 654. PAGE 5
- Ying Liu and Rorbert K. Prud’homme, Aerosol Drug Delivery by Porous Nanoparticle Aggregated Particle, 4th International Nanomedicine and Drug DeliverySymposium, Omaha, NE, Oct. 2006.
- Ying Liu and Rorbert K. Prud’homme, Stability and Ostwald Ripening of Block Copolymer Stabilized Drug Nanoparticles, ACS annual meeting, Washington DC, 2005, Paper No. 402.
- Ying Liu and Yiguang Ju, Experimental and Numerical Studies of Flame Dynamics in Mesoscale Channel, ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and RD&D Expo, Washington DC, 2003, Paper No. IMECE2003-42854.
- Self-assembled polymeric particles for drug delivery, Department of Material Science and Engineering, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, Feb. 5, 2014.
- Polymeric nanoparticles and toroidal-spiral particles for drug delivery, College of Pharmacy, Purdue University, Sep. 18, 2013.
- Competitive kinetics in nanoprecipitation: theory and application, Department of Physics and Biology, Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, IL, Sep. 17, 2012.
- Competitive kinetics in nanoprecipitation: theory and application, Harbin Institute of Technology, Narbin, China, July 16, 2012.
- Competitive kinetics in nanoprecipitation: theory and application, Renmin University, Beijing, China, July 5, 2012.
- Toroidal-Spiral Particles for Synergistic Drug Delivery, South China University of Technology, Guangzhou, China, Dec. 9th, 2011.
- Enhanced Oral Bioavailability of Hydrophobic Compounds by Using Polymeric Nanoparticles, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong Kong, Dec. 7th, 2011.
- Enhanced Oral Bioavailability of Hydrophobic Compounds by Using Polymeric Nanoparticles, Microbiotix, Worcester, MA, May 6th, 2011.
- Self-assembled Polymeric Nanoparticles, The University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, Jan. 17th, 2011.
- Self-assembled Toroidal-sprial Particles, Clemson University, Clemson, SC, Oct. 21st, 2010.
- Nanoparticles for drug delivery and sustained release, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, Jan. 5, 2009.
- Nanoparticles for drug delivery and sustained release, Baptist University, Hong Kong, Jan. 6, 2009.
- Flash NanoPrecipitation: kinetic self-assembling process to generate nanoparticles, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, WI, Nov. 21, 2008