Post-doctoral Research, Mechanical Eng., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA. 2008-2012
Ph. D., Polymer Science & Eng. with Minor in Physics, Materials Science and Eng., Georgia Tech. 2003-2008
M. S. in Chemical Engineering with Minor in Nonlinear Dynamics & Chaos, Georgia Tech. Atlanta, GA. 2004-2006
M.S. in Polymer Science, University of Akron, Akron, OH. 2001-2003
B.Tech. in Textile Technology, Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi, India. 1997-2001
Interfacial & Nonlinear Flows
Fizzics (Bubbles, drops, emulsions & foams)
Shear & Extensional Rheology
Biophysics; Polymer Physics
Soft Matter ODES (Optics, Dynamics, Elasticity & Self-Assembly)
CHE 312 Transport phenomena II (Juniors, Spring 2013, 2014, 2015)
CHE 301 Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics (Juniors, Fall 2014)
CHE 494 Fizzics and Interfacial Phenomena (Fall 2013)
CHE 410 Advanced Transport Phenomena (UG/G Fall 2015)
Distinguished Young Rheologist Award, TA Instruments (2015)
Selected/ invited to attend “APS Opportunities in Energy Research Workshop”, Portland, OR. 2010
Chair’s travel award, “Gordon Research Conference – Polymer Physics”. 2006
Travel grant, for ACS 6th National Graduate Research Polymer Conference, UMASS, Amherst. 2005
Fellowship for ACS PRF Summer School on Nanoparticle Materials, Ypsilanti, MI, June 2004
Chair’s travel award, “Gordon Research Conference – Polymer Physics”. 2004
National Talent Scholarship (NTSE): Awarded by National Council for Educational Research and Training, (NCERT), India to the top 750 students selected by a series of nationwide examinations. 1995-2001
Himachal Pradesh State Scholarship for Undergraduate Study in Engineering awarded for securing 3rd rank in the H. P. Engineering Entrance Examination. 1997-2001
National Science Talent Scholarship, awarded by Universal Trust. 1996 & 1997
Refereed journal publications
- Y. Zhang, S. Yilixiati and V. Sharma*, “Domain growth in stratifying foam films: Theory”, in preparation.
- J. Dinic, Y. Zhang, L. N. Jimenez and V. Sharma*, “Extensional Rheology and printability of dilute polymer solutions”, Under review.
- Y. Zhang and V. Sharma*, “Domain growth in stratifying foam films: Experiments”, Soft Matter, in press.
- V. Sharma*, O. Pessinet, T. Ober, A. Soderland, P. Threlfall-Holmes and G. H. McKinley, “Rheology of aqueous solutions of ethyl-hydroxyethyl cellulose (EHEC) and its hydrophobically modified analogue, HMEHEC: High shear rate rheology, normal stress, gelation and Fractional Maxwell model.” Submitted.
- B. Keshavarz*, V. Sharma, E. C. Houze, M. R. Koerner, J. R. Moore, P. M. Cotts, P. Threlfall-Holmes and G. H. McKinley, “Studying the Effects of Elongational Properties on Atomization of Weakly Viscoelastic Solutions Using Rayleigh Ohnesorge Jetting Extensional Rheometry (ROJER),” Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics, accepted.
- V. Sharma*, S. J. Haward, J. G. Serdy, B. Keshavarz, A. Soderland, P. Threlfall-Holmes and G. H. McKinley, “The rheology of aqueous solutions of ethyl hydroxy-ethyl cellulose (EHEC) and its hydrophobically modified analogue (hmEHEC): Extensional flow response in capillary break-up, jetting (ROJER) and in a cross-clot extensional rheometer.” Soft Matter 11, 3251- 3270 (2015).
- V. Sharma, M. Crne, J. O. Park and M. Srinivasarao*, “Bouligand structures underlie circularly polarized iridescence of scarab beetles: a closer view,” Materials Today: Proceedings, 1S, 161-171, (2014).
- V. Sharma* and G. H. McKinley, “An intriguing empirical rule for estimating the first normal stress difference from steady shear viscosity data for polymer solutions and melts,” Rheologica Acta, 51 (6), 487-495 (2012)
- S. J. Haward*, V. Sharma, G. H. McKinley and S. Rahatekar, “Shear and extensional rheology of cellulose in ionic liquids”, Biomacromolecules, 13, 1688-1699 (2012).
- L. Song, V. Sharma, J. O. Park and M. Srinivasarao*, “Characterization of ordered arrays of micropores in a polymer film,” Soft Matter, 7, 1890-1896 (2011).
- S.J. Haward*, V. Sharma and J. A. Odell, “Cross-slot Oscillatory Flow Extensional 3 rheometer (COFER) for Low Volumes and Ultra-dilute Complex Fluids,” Soft Matter, 7 (21), 9908-9921 (2011). Published with Cover Image. • Selected as a highlighted article by Soft Matter & Royal Society of Chemistry.
- V. Sharma, A. Jaishankar, Y. Wang and G. H. McKinley*, “Apparent yield stress, interfacial viscosity and high shear rate viscosity of Bovine Serum Albumin Solutions,” Soft Matter, 7 (11), 5150-5160 (2011).
- A. Jaishankar, V. Sharma and G. H. McKinley*, “Apparent bulk yield stress, interfacial creep ringing and interfacial viscoelasticity of globular protein/surfactant mixtures,” Soft Matter, 7 (17), 7623-7634 (2011).
- M. Crne, V. Sharma, J. Blair, J. O. Park, C. J. Summers and M. Srinivasarao*, “Mimicry of Papilio Palinurus Butterfly Optical Effects,” EPL, 93 (1), 14001 (2011)
- A. M. Ardekani, V. Sharma and G. H. McKinley*, “Dynamics of bead formation, filament thinning and breakup in weakly viscoelastic jets,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 665, 46-56 (2010).
- V. Sharma, L. Song, R. L. Jones, P. R. Williams and M. Srinivasarao*, “Effect of solvent choice on breath-figure-templated assembly of ‘holey’ polymer films,” EPL, 91, 38001 (2010).
- V. Sharma, M. Crne, J. O. Park and M. Srinivasarao*, “Structural Origin of Circularly Polarized Iridescence in Jeweled Beetles,” Science, 325, 449-452 (2009). Research featured in
- Perspective “Evolutionary Photonics with a Twist,” Science, 325, 98, (2009).
- Back Scatter,” The Chirality of Beetles,” Physics Today, 84, Sept (2009).
- Cell Culture, “Carving Corners,” Cell, 141, 3, 916 (2010). • NSF webpage, ‘audio-visual slides’: http://www.nsf.gov/news/newsmedia/beetles/
- Chemical & Engineering News, Technology Review, BBC News, Photonics.com, US News, NBC News, Yahoo News, Georgia Tech News, Azonano.com, etc.
- V. Sharma, K. Park and M. Srinivasarao*, “Shape Separation of gold nanorods using centrifugation,” Proceedings of National Academy of Sciences, 106(13), 4981-4985 (2009). • Press: Featured as research highlight in Analytical Chemistry, April 09, 2009.
- V. Sharma, K. Park and M. Srinivasarao*, “Colloidal dispersion of gold nanorods: Historical background, optical properties, synthesis, separation and self-assembly,” Material Science and Engineering Reports, 65, 1-38 (2009). Cover Image
- R.O. Grigoriev*, M.F. Schatz and V. Sharma, “Chaotic mixing in microdroplets,” Lab Chip, 6, 1369-1372 (2006).
- M. Srinivasarao, M. Crne, V. Sharma and J. O. Park, “Scarab Beetle Iridescence,” McGrawHill 2011 Yearbook of Science and Technology.
- M. Srinivasarao, V. Sharma, J. O. Park, M. S. Barrow and P. R. Williams, “Fabrication of nano/microstructured organic polymer films using condensation: Self-assembly of breath figures,” in Evaporative self-assembly of ordered complex structures, World Scientific Publishing Co (Singapore) 2011.
- Ph. D. (2008): “Colloidal gold nanorods, iridescent beetles and breath figure-templated assembly of ordered arrays of pores in polymer films”.
- M. S. (2003): “Rheological study of anomalous modification of Aroclor dynamics by dissolved 1,2-polybutadiene and the resulting negative intrinsic viscosity”, 2003.
- B. Tech. (2001): “Preparation and properties of carbon fibers using PAN-based precursors”.