For students with a B.S. in chemical engineering it typically takes 2 years for the M.S. and 4 to 5 years for the Ph.D. Students entering with a M.S. in chemical engineering usually complete their Ph.D. a year earlier than students entering with a B.S.

Students who have non-chemical engineering degrees will need to take deficiency courses that usually add one year to their studies.

Applicants must have at least a degree in a technical field. We give preference to chemical engineering students, but have accepted students with degrees in other engineering disciplines, and chemistry, physics.

Applicants for the M.S. degree usually have a undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher. Ph.D. applicants usually have a GPA of 3.5 or higher. There are exceptions when strengths in other areas of the applicants application warrant.

Yes, the GRE is a departmental admissions requirement.

This is a Graduate College requirement that is usually applied to students who have earned their prior degrees in non-English-speaking institutes. You will need to check with the Graduate College to know if you are required to take the TOEFL.

All students are eligible to receive financial aid. Teaching assistantships (T.A.) primarily are awarded to incoming Ph.D. candidates. Not all Ph.D. candidates will be offered a T.A. There are also research assistantships (R.A.) that can be awarded by individual faculty members who are managing a research grant.

Also, graduate assistantships (G.A.) can be obtained by students directly from a department or program.

There are many fellowships and scholarships available. Check with the financial aid advisor in the Graduate College for more details. The department also awards a limited number of tuition fee waivers (TFW) each semester. TWFs are applied for through the department usually a month before the semester starts.

At UIC research advisors and degree candidates must mutually agree to work together. Students are not assigned to a research advisor nor do student choose their advisor. We ask that you meet with all of the faculty members and have them sign a form stating that you have discussed research possibilities. When you and the faculty member have agreed to work together, you both sign an agreement. The faculty member becomes your advisor and you join that faculty members research program.

M.S. candidates do not take a preliminary exam. There are two types of M.S. degrees: the project M.S. and the thesis M.S.

The project M.S. requires. The project M.S. requires the student to take the five core classes (see student handbook) and three electives. The student also takes a one semester project ChE 597) in which they do there research. The project is reviewed by a faculty committee and the student gives a short presentation on the project. The thesis M.S. requires the same five core classes, but only one elective and no project. Instead the student prepares a thesis on their research and presents it to a thesis committee for approval. The M.S. thesis research is more in depth than the M.S. project.

Yes, the Ph.D. preliminary exam is a written preliminary report on your research which in general contains at least a survey of the pertinent research literature, your preliminary results, and a research plan to complete your degree research. This report is given to the preliminary exam committee two weeks before the oral presentation, in which the degree candidate presents the report.

No, our program does not give a qualifying exam. You are required to take courses and to maintain a “B” average in you courses.