Applicants with degrees in fields other than chemical engineering can apply for admission to the M.S. or Ph. D. program in Chemical Engineering on a Limited Standing. These students must remedy deficiencies in their preparation within two semesters after the start of their academic program, after which they may be granted Full Standing in the chemical engineering graduate program.

For entering students with an adequate* background in Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry, but without undergraduate training in Engineering, the courses (areas of deficiency) to be completed** in the first two semesters are:

1. Material and Energy Balances (ChE 210)
2. Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics (ChE 301)
3. Transport Phenomena I (Momentum transfer, ChE 311)
4. Transport Phenomena II (Heat and mass transfer, ChE 312)
5. Transport Phenomena III (Separation processes, ChE 313)
6. Chemical Reaction Engineering (ChE 321)

*Students without three full years of chemistry (Inorganic, Organic, and Physical), two semesters of Physics, and four semesters of math (three semesters of calculus and one semester of differential equations) must also complete these courses. In some cases additional requirements will be prescribed. In exceptional cases some of the above requirements may be waived on demonstration of prior proficiency. Most Chemistry, Biochemistry, and Physics majors will have taken these courses.

**In all undergraduate courses required for the removal of limited status, a grade of B or better is required. When the prescribed requirements have been satisfactorily met, the student must apply for change of status to full standing with the Director of Graduate Studies (DGS). In case, a limited standing student has a GPA of 3.0 or more and has received grade lower than B in any of the above courses, the student may request a change to full status after the completion of 12 hours of graduate coursework counting toward the engineering degree with a GPA of 3.5 or more.

For more information, visit: